[Using Sakai] Graphics in forum messages..

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at mum.edu
Fri Aug 17 20:05:35 PDT 2012

Thanks for the information and context.

I am currently in a role of using Sakai, both as our choice for LMS, and as an evaluation of features for a University wide choice. (We have a bunch of Moodlers!).

So I am not yet in a position to contribute, but hope that our new-user experiences may be useful.

We are also looking at Canvas, and have existing Moodle users, and have read many (many...) other schools evaluations and reports on LMS choices. Yet it is interesting to me how one really doesn't know the feature sets & issues till you really go through an adaption and usage experience.

For another simple example, the ability to do paper based exams and enter the grades seemed to be missing, or at least require some manual database manipulations - this seemed odd to me, and something that would be a common use-case.

I am a bit surprised at missing features like this; NB even the forum discussing Sakai has better features than the Sakai tool being discussed! (Images in your response.)  :)

Hi Gregory,

...There aren't too many users who have asked for this functionality that I can remember, and nobody has created a jira (https://jira.sakaiproject.org) as far as I find describing it. Though it looks like it would be a useful feature, and I can create one for it. Sakai (as you may know) is community source software, built up by volunteer contributions from people like you. So generally for a change like this to get in, someone has to notice the functionality is missing. Find or develop a method for implementing it, contribute and test the code for the feature. There is no central organization actually developing Sakai.