[Using Sakai] Question about Forum notifications

Marilyn Dispensa mdispensa at ithaca.edu
Thu Sep 25 06:54:55 PDT 2014

Can anyone give some insights into the instructor question below?  It would be nice if the Forum announcements would go out when a topic is opened and not when it is created. We are using Sakai. 2.9.3.  - Thanks so much.

[A quick question for you. On the weekends, I prep Announcements, Assignments and Forum Topics on SAKAI and post-date them to open later that week, right after the first class meeting. However, for some reason, when I prepare a conversation in a Forums Topic (intending for it to be visible once the Topic opens later in the week), SAKAI generates an immediate email to my students notifying them that this conversation has opened. This has resulted in confusion over reading assignments. Is there any way to prevent this weekend email from being generated, at least until the Forum Topic has opened? This email, apparently, is being generated even when the student has programmed "NO EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS" in "WATCH"."]

Marilyn Dispensa
Instructional Technology Coordinator
Information Technology Services
102 Job Hall