[Using Sakai] external access to Sakai data to automate reports?

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at mum.edu
Mon Aug 6 18:31:00 PDT 2012

Thanks for the information and insight.

The coding I was referring to was not developing any custom usages I might want, but changed required to Quartz itself to make it work with current versions. The comments on the web page at sakaiproject report:
   " The example package requires some changes to make it work in recent versions of Sakai."

I think what I would want to do is just extract the equivalent data for what I would get from a sitestats report, but be able to then get it programmatically so I could automate the extraction and manipulate it into a spreadsheet for reporting on attendance (site visits) per student, etc.

Are there any available examples of a SQL /jdbc/odbc style query for this type of data? If I can access things that way it is simpler for me than trying to write webservice wrappers and do local custom builds. I can write code, but my goal is to be a user of Sakai, not a developer!  :)

Similarly for accessing via an external GUI database browser, and the type of queries that would correspond to a sample sitestats report and export?

I wonder if in fact if I wrote the report I ant data export from, how easy it would be to make execution of that report into a webservice to automate the running and export operations. Once I get the data I already wrote spreadsheets for summary and dashboard reporting.

For the "desired features" queue, I like the existing standard webservice interface approach that Canvas uses, and they have a nice summary of how it makes reporting easy and automatable.

I still wonder how mainstream universities satisfy this type of automatic registrar style reporting of course participation /attendance for their DE courses using Sakai.

Thanks again.