[Using Sakai] Largest Site Membership / Potential Tool Issues?

Arlow, Magdaleen Arlowm at unisa.ac.za
Tue Mar 9 12:56:15 PST 2010

This message (and attachments) is subject to restrictions and a disclaimer. Please refer to http://www.unisa.ac.za/disclaimer for full details.
________________________________

Dear Jacob

At Unisa (University of South Africa) we have a number of sites with more than 1000 students. Unisa is a distance teaching institution and have courses with more than 10 000 enrolled students, but not all are working online. Our general problem is the tools where the first option is to list the participants or students, ant that takes a long time or is unpractical for large numbers. We prefer the option where a specific user number/code can be entered for display.

We are still running Sakai 2.5.x, so some problems may have improvements we have not implemented yet; but here are the tools where we experience problems :

-          Blogger : slow for large classes; get problems/bugs

-          Dropbox: finding a specific box without a search on  the page or re-ordering option

-          Sign up: lecturers’ view is slow with the view of participants

-          Samigo: download of scores because of default view

-          Site Info : default view extract all participants; slow for adding new participants on large sites

-          Sitestats : resources view; reports for many events

Our student numbers remain a criteria when choosing tools to use at Unisa. We are preparing a report  on our large site experience, an overdue promise to Sakai community. We’ll  send it to you when completed.

Kind regards

Magdaleen Arlow

Deputy-Director : Academic Systems
Applications and Solutions Directorate