[Using Sakai] Sakai 2.6.x, LDAP and withdrawing studentry -- best practices?

Feliz Gouveia fribeiro at ufp.edu.pt
Tue Feb 2 14:19:33 PST 2010

Will,

We create a Sakai account for each ldap account and synchronize
periodically. As users get created in Sakai, they always show up - we found
no problems with this approach. The only requirement is that we get the
information to create the accounts from our SIS.
Nuno can send you the details.

Feliz

On 2 February 2010 19:24, will at serensoft.com <will at serensoft.com> wrote:

> Sent this to DEV list, should have sent it here :)
>

> Short version:
>
> Are there any "best Sakai practices" when it comes to withdrawing
> LDAP-authenticated students?
>

> Long version:
>
> We've got Sakai 2.6.x hooked up to an LDAP server. Student 'bob' gets
> authenticated via LDAP to Sakai, logs in, takes tests and quizzes, turns in
> assignments... for a few weeks.
>
> Then 'bob' quits school.
>
> Other students continue, taking more tests, more assignments.
>
> The IT folks notice that just by disabling the LDAP entry, Sakai no longer
> shows that student in "Site Info" or the "Gradebook". One fell swoop, all
> taken-care-of. All the data inside Sakai, including sakai_site_user.*,
> remains as it was. But now, worksite maintainers can't find 'bob' listed to
> 'inactivate' or 'remove' him from their worksites.
>
> Is the best idea to re-activate the LDAP account, have all worksites
> 'deactivate' (or remove?) the student, and then turn the LDAP entry off
> again?
>
> --
> will trillich
> "The ancestor of every action is a thought" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feliz Ribeiro Gouveia

Universidade Fernando Pessoa            http://www.ufp.pt
Centro de Recursos Multimediaticos      Tel 351-22.507.13.06
M.I.N.D. Lab                            Fax 351-22.550.82.69
Pr 9 de Abril 349                       fribeiro at ufp.edu.pt
P-4249-004 Porto