[samigo-team] Settings: Score of Zero for Non-Submission

Henry, Roger James rjhenry at indiana.edu
Mon Feb 6 07:49:51 PST 2012

Okay, so we're solving this the way we do with the Assignments tool. At least it's being addressed.

I'm still wondering if this couldn't be part of the setup of an assessments. The time when (I would say) most faculty decide the penalty for non-submission is *during the setup*. Why force people to wait till after the submissions come in?

I can see why it's been designed this way - to match existing functionality. However, the functionality in Assignments is based on the correct presumption that instructors will grade assignments after they're submitted - there's no auto-grading of assignment questions. It makes sense that the penalty takes place *during* the (necessarily) manual grading activity.

But for Samigo, the normal expectation is that we're setting this assessment up to grade automatically. For the most part, there's no expectation of a grading process to *follow* the submission of the assessment. The more correct presumption would be that instructors would set the penalty for non-submission during setup of the assessment, not after the hard due date (whether Due- or Retract date).

Roger J. Henry
Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning
Indiana University Bloomington