[sakai2-tcc] Governance proposal: Tiebreaking votes

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Thu Jan 10 08:26:27 PST 2013

Hello,

During the last TCC election cycle, we had a tie in the Vice-Chair
voting which was never anticipated in our governance documents:

https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/TCC+Governance

We have another election coming shortly, so I would like to make the
following proposal for breaking ties in elections:

"In the event of a tie among candidates, a run-off election will be
held among the tied candidates following the usual procedures. The
candidate with the greatest number of votes in the run-off is elected.

If two candidates are again tied after the run-off, a virtual
coin-toss will be held to determine a winner.

If more than two candidates are again tied after the run-off,
successive run-offs will be held until a coin-toss needs to be held
(when are only two tied candidates are left) or a winner is determined
by the greatest number of votes."

Seth