[sakai2-tcc] Planning for Sakai 2.10 and beyond

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Mon Sep 24 08:28:13 PDT 2012

On Sep 24, 2012, at 11:20 AM, Steve Swinsburg wrote:

> Also, no need to get personal. I raised an issue which I feel is important for this project to survive, a matter informed by recent events, discussions and reflections. If the cancellation of two regional Sakai conferences and a bunch of major institutions dropping their involvement isnt a wake up call to us all, I don't know what is.

Steve - it is not personal regarding you but it is personal for me.   I have sat by since 2007 and allowed various ill-fated initiatives go forward without strong comment from me to see if they could be successful - to see if I was wrong and that I just would not allow these management driven initiatives work.   Now we have seen them fail so many times.

Recent events *are* a wake up call.  They are a wakeup call that management layers are a bad idea.

Funny how the one thing that is working well in the entire Sakai community is the one thing that *does not* have a management layer - the CLE.    And now you are advocating that we add a management layer.

The wake up call is that management layers made up of non-contributing stakeholders are a bad idea.

/Chuck