[sakai2-tcc] Towards a fulltime coordinator

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Tue Mar 27 12:17:16 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Aaron Zeckoski <azeckoski at unicon.net>wrote:

> I think we need the following things to happen to get to a fulltime
> coordinator position and I need to ask for volunteers to work on
> these.
>
> 1) A clear list of the features/benefits of 2.9 (and also of
> additional 2.8/2.7 releases). We should probably have something like
> this anyway but we especially need it in order to ask for funds from
> people. This is important for the "Return on Investment" the board
> wants.

Benefits to 2.9:

a) Security improvements
b) Accessibility gains especially the default use of the much-improved
CKEditor
c) Lesson Builder content sequencing making Sakai CLE a viable for online
training and online courses
d) Look-and-feel refresh including accessibility gains
e) Much-requested gradebook features including ability to drop highest /
drop lowest in a category
f) Runs on the latest version of Tomcat (Tomcat 5.5 is EOL on Sept 30,
2012!)
g) Redone build process will allow for more maintenance releases (if there
is community demand)

> 2) Identify possible funding sources - I am not suggesting that we
> seek the funding but we should be able to recommend possible sources
> of funding for this position including possibly:
> (A) the OAE general fund (since the depend on CLE being stable for the
> forseeable future)
> (B) Special dues (essentially an optional gold level of dues which
> would be earmarked directly for CLE position(s) funding) - it was
> suggested that some institutions would have a hard time offering money
> directly but that it is easy for them to get approval for paying
> higher dues as long as they are targetted
> (C) Other?

(c) The primary SCAs spend quite a bit of $$ sponsoring parts of the annual
conference.  Without many other options available, it would be a way to
re-allocate enough money to make up the gap between the 2-day a week pot of
money and what is costs to hire 1.0 FTE.