[sakai2-tcc] Towards a fulltime coordinator

Aaron Zeckoski azeckoski at unicon.net
Mon Mar 26 09:21:18 PDT 2012

I think we need the following things to happen to get to a fulltime
coordinator position and I need to ask for volunteers to work on
these.

1) A clear list of the features/benefits of 2.9 (and also of
additional 2.8/2.7 releases). We should probably have something like
this anyway but we especially need it in order to ask for funds from
people. This is important for the "Return on Investment" the board
wants.

2) Identify possible funding sources - I am not suggesting that we
seek the funding but we should be able to recommend possible sources
of funding for this position including possibly:
(A) the OAE general fund (since the depend on CLE being stable for the
forseeable future)
(B) Special dues (essentially an optional gold level of dues which
would be earmarked directly for CLE position(s) funding) - it was
suggested that some institutions would have a hard time offering money
directly but that it is easy for them to get approval for paying
higher dues as long as they are targetted
(C) Other?

3) A larger survey of the community which is limited to the dues
paying members. It has been suggested that it is less burdensome to
managers when they put together responses to a survey about resources
if it happens all at once rather than as lots of smaller surveys. The
goal of this survey would be to find out what resources are already
being used for Sakai (internal and community focused) and what
resources might be available. Maybe things about CLE vs OAE would help
as well. Not really totally sure about everything that might be asked
but I think someone should take ownership of the task and identify the
questions and create the survey (if we determine these questions are
still ones we want answers to).
I think this is helpful for the return on investment as well as
valuable for us to know what the community is doing/thinking.

-AZ