[sakai2-tcc] CLE community poll

csev csev at umich.edu
Thu Mar 22 07:02:21 PDT 2012

On Mar 22, 2012, at 9:38 AM, Seth Theriault wrote:

> I suggest that we distribute the survey first to the partners
> (institutional reps) list and then after a week or so, put it out
> generally. That way you capture everyone who cares to participate
> AND make sure the dues-payers have multiple opportunities to
> respond.
>
> Identifying info, even just an institution, would be good to
> capture.
>
> Seth

I disagree with the notion of doing this through the foundation and to partners only first - it may be a later step - but not the first.

The results we will get will be probabilistic at best and the response rate for this kind of thing are tough when the person getting the survey needs to forward it to someone else.    It will take weeks not days to get the data.

I have a feeling that the data will be quite clear and very helpful even if it is very partial.  I actually don't know what the answers will turn out to be - but I think they will be easy to interpret and be consistent across virtually any sample (scientific or otherwise) we might choose.

Again another purpose of this is gentle education and awareness of community members and a better connection between the TCC and community.

If the board made a survey - it should go to formal members if they so choose and that would make perfect sense.

Perhaps after we get the broad results, it might trigger the same or slightly different survey to come from the board to the formal partners.

I would suggest we add a checkbox on out less-scientific survey asking if someone is the formal rep - and perhaps another box (optional) for email and a check as to whether we can contact them and an open box with "do you have any other comments for the TCC?".

Letting the board see this and giving them a change to comment and adjust is a very good idea - I would say essential.  Anything else would be very rude.  Not so much to ask permission - but to inform them and ask for comments (RFC...).   Give them some time to review and comment and then we proceed.

/Chuck