[sakai2-tcc] Another Agenda Item - Re: TCC - CLE Community Coordinator, Thurs. Aug 23, 4 pm EDT, 8 pm GMT

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Fri Aug 24 10:27:47 PDT 2012

All of those use cases you mentioned sound pretty awesome, but I'd say that
these are just feature requests on existing tools in Sakai.

The first sounds like an app that would be more specific to the campus.
 You could create a tool that links up to google maps, but by default,
Sakai just doesn't have that much metadata about the courses (what room
number, building address, even often the date/time that they're offered).
This either sounds like a separate tool or a large feature enhancement on
top of site management.

The second one sounds like adding html5 geo-location to profile2, something
that's currently supported in all mobile browsers and some desktop browsers
(though less of those have GPS). Though GPS is for sure less reliable
indoors, but it could be kinda cool like you said to know when your
contacts or classmates are nearby

You can add a mobile page from both browsers to your home screen, you can
set them to auto-login. I guess the only think you couldn't get yet are
push notifications, but Mozilla is already working on this, so Google will
for sure follow [2]. And that's not super useful until Dashboard is
included anyway?

[2]
http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/02/mozilla-developing-web-push-notification-system-for-firefox/