[sakai2-tcc] Status of Websphere/DB2 support for 2.8.0

May, Megan Marie mmmay at indiana.edu
Tue Mar 22 07:35:39 PDT 2011

Happy Tuesday fellow committee members,

       This weekend I heard back from Howard so I want to take a moment to update the committee.     At this time there are no plans for continued support of WAS and DB2 in future releases of Sakai as there has not been broad community adoption of Sakai on WAS and/or DB2.   If interest in WAS and DB2 becomes apparent, IBM will reconsider.    In regards to the options the TCC outlined, IBM favored the option that would provide the cleanest path for "re-inserting" WAS/DB2 support in the future should interest pick up.  He wanted to stress that IBM remains supportive of Sakai and shared that efforts right now are focused on providing a long term solution to issues regarding differences between the Oracle (Sun) JDK and IBM JDK (issues currently affecting clients running Sakai).      Makes perfect sense to me.

Are there members of the committee that would like to aid in crafting the communication to the community?
Megan