[sakai2-tcc] Proposal: Merging Small Enhancements into Maintenance Branches

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Wed Jan 19 18:04:55 PST 2011

Beth Kirschner wrote:

> Following today's TCC phone call, we decided to update the
> following proposal by requiring a vote of any and all
> enhancements prior to merging them into a maintenance branch:
> https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/Maintenance+Branch+Merge+Policy+%28tentative%29

I don't particularly care for an explicit TCC vote on each
enhancement because I think it unnecessarily adds to the
overhead. If the proposer and the tool lead(s) are in agreement
about the enhancement, I see no need for TCC intervention. In
case of disagreement, I feel that the TCC could function as some
sort of appeals venue. None of this precludes proposers from
bring their enhancement to the attention of the TCC for advice or
review.

In addition, on the call and elsewhere, there has been discussion
of an explicit trial period for this proposal. I see no mention
of that anywhere in this proposal. Something like this needs a
review by the TCC after a while, e.g. 6 months.

Seth