[sakai2-tcc] Proposal: Merging Small Enhancements into Maintenance Branches

Jean-Francois Leveque jean-francois.leveque at upmc.fr
Tue Jan 18 06:38:50 PST 2011

Beth:

I think the bug fixes process description does not fit current
practices. It does not account the fact that the MT does not work on
branch management
(https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/MNT/process), even if it
could be considered lead as set in JIRA. It does not account the work
done by the maintenance branch managers (I cannot find an up-to-date
page with a list of 2.6.x and 2.7.x branch managers on confluence). It
does not account the fact that sometimes the lead is not involved in
maintenance branch work.

The whole process description does not state who's gonna do the merges.
The problem is, AFAICT, that we don't have enough maintenance branch
manager time to deal with merging the bug fixes. The state of the merge
requests status for 2.7.x issues could be used as proof.

I think the community contribution in maintenance branch management is
not up to the task of merging bug fixes and it would be a bad idea to
try to do more merges before we have more contribution. Maybe this
tentative policy could be evaluated again in 3, 6 months or at least
when 2.8.0 has been released.

As far as the qualifications for enhancements are concerned, lots of
questions are pending:
Who evaluates the scope of the change?
Who reviews the change if it's code under MT lead?
Who review the influence on i18n?
How making the change non-disruptive can keep the scope of the change small?
Could the community members have a way to oppose the merge before it's
done instead of having to deal with it when it's done? How long in
advance will the change be announced?
How are we avoiding merging changes that are only requested by one or a
few institution and seen as dangerous by others?
How are we dealing with the increased maintenance cost from code lead
and QA point of view?

I think we lack the people to populate all those who questions and this
is another reason to delay the evaluation of this tentative policy.

J-F