[sakai2-tcc] A popular feature request - sak-800

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Wed Feb 2 07:13:29 PST 2011

Another problem with a task like this and many others already in place
(duplicating a site, sending emails, processing xml) is that Sakai only has
one processing model: everything is done in the same application thread.
Some tasks known to be long running really should have a way to be queued up
and sent to a (ideally) out of cluster machine to be processed in the
background in a queue as time permits. The user would then be notified when
their job is completed. This would be for any task which will take longer
than a few seconds to complete, and the completion no other part of the
workflow is dependent on the completion of the task.

There is a strong need for a sakai queue service (or possibly even a quartz
job) where tools can register a simple class that takes a few defined
parameters which will execute and perform some task that is known to take
more time than a user is expected to wait for. Some of these have been
written for specific purposes like the eval email queue (
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/EVALSYS-69), but nothing generic or
easy to register against.

As one immediate example, we had an issue recently at Umich with xmlencoder
where it crashed the server when exporting. (
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-19862) It would have been nice to
have only had a out of cluster job processing machine that crashed. Also we
often in the past have had a "X minute" bug where if sites are not done
copying in a reasonable amount of time, or if the user hits abort, they are
corrupted. Even site creation from a template can sometimes run into this
problem depending on load level and app server speed.

-Matthew