[sakai2-tcc] A popular feature request - sak-800

Mark Norton markjnorton at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 2 06:55:29 PST 2011

FWIW, I have already written code very similar to this feature request
as part of the SoftChalk plugin for Sakai.  See
https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/softchalk/trunk/lb-gateway/tool/src/java/com/softchalk/lessonbuilder/servlet/LBGZip.java

The method LBGZip.add() is a REST handler for an "add SoftChalk lesson
in zip format".

However, I question just how valuable this feature really is given the
restrictions Sakai places on uploaded content these days.  I have
expressed my concerns to Ian and the TCC via Anthony with relative
little response beyond "we'll look into it".  My view and that of
SoftChalk is that Sakai has effectively crippled the ability to add
interactive content by denying any content that contains JavaScript.  My
proposed change to this is to make content upload permissions be role
based.  We should be able to trust an instructor or administrator not to
add malware via JavaScript.

SoftChalk has been a big supporter of Sakai since they joined the
foundation a year or so ago.  At this time, their future participation
is being called into question because of this problem.  SoftChalk has
indicated to me that they are not willing to invest in Sakai support for
their products if the technical community of Sakai effectively disables
their content from working.

- Mark