[sakai2-tcc] [Building Sakai] Current browser support

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Thu Aug 4 14:14:47 PDT 2011

I know there was the one big issue with Samigo and Firefox 4.
(SAM-1244<https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAM-1244>
) According to some comments this was fixed in Firefox 5, but the behavior
overall is better after this patch.

It's likely the page on compatibility isn't updated because in the past it
reflected what Sakai was QA'd against. As of late there really hasn't been
any coordinated Sakai QA (AFIAK) since the 2.8 release, and I can't see any
mention of what they were testing with. This question about
"browser compatibility" comes up on the mailing list every few months, most
recently in a *huge* (~40 reply) thread back in March.

http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Support-for-additional-browsers-td6224521.html

The real answer is aside from a few fixed or filed issues, the latest
support Sakai (2.7 & 2.8) are compatible and work with all 4 of the latest
browsers (except IE 9.0 needs the compatibility header, which is enabled in
2.7+) They also work with the latest mobile Android and iPhone browsers via
the pda portal. If any issues come up they are filed and fixed. However,
there might be issues that get missed as they aren't part of any automated
or manual testing if something is browser specific.

It is much easier to support the future than the past though. IE 7.0 and
Fire Fox 2 being  on the list that was linked are probably no longer
accurate for Sakai 2.7+. The TCC could probably lay out a direction for
support and say something like "IE 7.0 and FireFox 2.x specific issues will
no longer be addressed in a future version of Sakai", but anyone is still
free to contribute patches.

At Michigan we run 2.7.1 and locally QA with Firefox 3 on OSX and Windows
and IE8 on Windows. Most developers use Firefox 5, Chrome or Safari. Our
users are split almost evenly (20-25% each) between FireFox (mostly 5), IE
(mostly 8.0, 9.0 defaults to 8.0 compatibility mode), Safari and Chrome.

-Matthew