[sakai2-tcc] Review 2.8.0 property documentation

John Bush john.bush at rsmart.com
Tue Apr 19 23:17:51 PDT 2011

That is not a simple problem, we've tried a few ways to attempt this
in the past internally via scripts that scrub the codebase.  Those
approaches failed.  A think a runtime method would have more success.
The issue is sakai properties are handled a few different ways, some
via the ServerConfigurationService, and others via Spring injection.
The ServerConfigurationService one's could be introspected fairly
easily, once they are accessed.  The Spring ones potentially could be
introspected at runtime via looking for setters, but I imagine this
list would become very long.

Its quite similar to the problem I had to deal with in respect to
message bundle data, until the data is actually accessed at runtime,
its not a simple problem.  Because there isn't any type of universal
registration that makes it straightforward.

Its not so much of a problem with the config viewer, but more a
fallout from how configuration is handled in sakai in general.

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Nate Angell <nangell at rsmart.com> wrote:
> Matthew:
>
> Your post reminded me of a question I had. From what you say here and
> my understanding, it appears like properties must be hardcoded in the
> config viewer in order to appear in it at all, which seems like a very
> brittle and error-prone arrangement, as the tool doesn't really
> indicate that one will be able to view only such specific properties.
>
> Forgive my ignorance on the history of this tool and/or its technical
> design, but what are the barriers to having it actually register ALL
> properties set on a local instance, whether it knows about them in
> advance or not?
>
> --
> Nate Angell
> Sakai Product Manager
> rSmart
> http://www.rsmart.com
> http://twitter.com/xolotl
> http://xolotl.org
>

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Matthew Jones <jonespm at umich.edu> wrote:
>> Added one more that I knew of. It would be nice to get these updated in
>> config viewer. I never even added the 2.7 properties yet. :/
>> https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/CNFV-17
>> https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/CNFV-20
>> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 9:22 PM, May, Megan Marie <mmmay at indiana.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>>    I have been pulling together property changes/addition documentation at
>>> https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+CLE+2.8+new+properties+and+permissions
>>>

>>> It would be wonderful if you could take  a moment to review it for
>>> accuracy and completeness. Please  feel free to make changes to it directly
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Megan
>>>

>>> Megan May
>>>
>>> Interim Manager, Oncourse
>>>
>>> UITS Enterprise Academic Software Division
>>>
>>> Indiana University
>>>
>>> Office:  317-274-4528

John Bush
602-490-0470