[sakai2-tcc] Review 2.8.0 property documentation

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Wed Apr 20 05:47:58 PDT 2011

Yea, the problem as John said was knowing what the properties are and
especially what they represent, which is still mostly a manual process.

There was the idea back last year or so to move all of the config viewer
data out into either xml or properties files in each individual projects
webapp/tools directory, so when the tools are registered the properties file
are read. This seems easier than requiring some type of code or annotation
for each property all over the code base since config-viewer already has
some 1000 items separated as property file elements.

I agree that it is very similar to the message bundle database fix. Ideally
like that, some properties would be read from disk and others from the
database (including values). This pre-population could also be done via sql
scripts to insert property configuration data into a database table, then
developers would *only* have to provide to update their properties. It's
just a few columns columns of metadata plus a description. But it would also
be nice to provide for internationalization on the descriptions (which it
doesn't right now), so that starts to make it complex and really time
consuming.

I think developers are more likely to edit a text file than a conversion
script though. I was never allocated any time to work on this project
specifically so we kept doing it the wiki way. Thanks for collecting up the
2.8 properties though Megan. Maybe for 2.9!