[sakai2-tcc] Proposal: how to get rid of the properties documentation staleness in 2.8

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Thu Sep 9 06:36:04 PDT 2010

Now, for something completely different...

I think all of our current forms of property documentation are pretty miserable.

If we don't have interest or energy for a mechanism in the application itself for registering properties, then we should have one somewhere outside. We're using Drupal for sakaiproject.org, right? It's pretty easy to set up a little database with CRUD forms, searching, and sorting. Granted, we could do that anywhere, but it's a core feature of infrastructure we have. Registering properties with expected data type, recognized values, etc. would take us a long way.

Having a curator is great, but I think we can get better about our process, and it should be more obvious and inclusive. If some random implementor finds that a property doesn't behave as expected, those docs should be editable. (The same should be true for translations.)

I would personally be interested in an application-internal registry and a bug-hunting mode of ServerConfigurationService where any property retrieved but not registered would throw errors at least to the logs. We would get good coverage with this turned on during a QA cycle.

Thanks,
-Noah