[sakai2-tcc] Proposal: how to get rid of the properties documentation staleness in 2.8

csev csev at umich.edu
Thu Sep 9 06:49:48 PDT 2010

Yikes!

You are proposing going from 4 strange/unrelated/obsolete/inconsistent/manually maintained documents and moving to 5 and putting it in a database using software that may or may not be used as the content system for www.sp.org going forward.

Apache projects keep authoritative materials in SVN and give relevant people commit rights and then auto-generate HTML web sites for that SVN to make the materials more useful, searchable, readable, etc.

Your proposal is equivalent to suggesting that we document all our APIs in Drupal by pasting all the JavaDoc into Drupal and then having a JIRA each release titled "Drupal copies of JavaDoc are Out of Date".

One complete, carefully maintained, authoritative copy with multiple automated publishing options.

Now once we can auto-publish this material somewhere - it might be kind of cool to create a community based automatic patch/errata collector around the content that lets anyone in the community easily point out missing or incorrect information and provide fixes.  That is cool and value add beyond Apache.

Similarly we could do something to improve our ability to gather I18N input from the community as well.

Lets just avoid at all costs requiring multiple manual entry of the same information in several places.

We also could improve the kind of documentation we include in SVN regarding properties so that auto-generated site is more useful.   If you note, I started my proposal with "take the good stuff from confluence".

/Chuck