[sakai2-tcc] Proposal: how to get rid of the properties documentation staleness in 2.8

Beth Kirschner bkirschn at umich.edu
Thu Sep 9 06:38:21 PDT 2010

On Sep 9, 2010, at 9:33 AM, Steve Swinsburg wrote:

> Any document will get out of date if people don't take the time to
> keep it current.

So true -- and it also helps to have someone take ownership of the
document.

> This particular set of Confluence pages is an invaluable reference.
> There are hundreds that are documented on those pages, but not in
> any file in SVN I can see.
>
> Were you referring to the default.sakai.properties in the config
> module?
> https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/config/trunk/configuration/bundles/src/bundle/org/sakaiproject/config/bundle/default.sakai.properties

Yes

> I'd love to get edit details on those Confluence pages so I can keep
> things current as I come across them. The reference goes back all
> versions and is right there in one spot in an easy to read fashion.
> It's fantastic.
>
> It's a sad state of affairs if we have to point someone to a file in
> SVN to get documentation. Project teams need to keep their
> documentation current, and we need to be able to make that
> information readily accessible.

I agree, but I'm not sure about trying to keep two files up-to-date
and in sync. It would be nice if someone could put together some sort
of javadocs-like script that would read the default.sakai.properties
file and generate a nice HTML page documenting the properties.

- Beth