[sakai2-tcc] [Building Sakai] [Management] Sakai 2.8 Release Activity Schedule

Berg, Alan A.M.Berg at uva.nl
Thu Sep 2 00:02:13 PDT 2010

Hi,

Firstly i recognise that the TCC is responsible for shepherding  2.X  and Hybrid mode is instigated in the Sakai 3 project structure, however qua technology it has feet in both 2 and 3. . I think you read the situation correctly qua impact for 2.8, the functionality is turned off by default.  Qua impact for central  testing resources we have to look at the wider picture of the timeline of the hybrid mode and bug fixing in three places Saka 2.x, Sakai 3 and directly by Lance with the gluing. I discussed this with Lance yesterday and promised to send an email to the TCC and Alan Marks, but you beat me to the punch.

There are two versions of hybrid promised Basic and Complete. The complete version has not been documented qua functionality but needs to be ready at the end of Q2 of the Sakai 3 project plan by June 2011.

The rough timeline for testing should look similar to: Sakai 2.8 goes from alpha to beta. Hybrid mode is tested against the beta and  bugs are pushed back to Sakai 2.x and Sakai 3 and the responsible party for the glue. The cycle is kept in check with the 2 week tagging cycle of the beta's. Testing needs to include functional testing, security, UI consistency, performance. Central QA needs to know what the landing time for the complete mode and actuate the cycle again. The testing resources need to be found from the community. I would expect those testers to come for the Sakai 3 project, but that is not clear as we have a general lack of resources. The bug fixes for at least the basic mode will need to be in step with the release of 2.8. Bug fixes associated with UI consistency may need to be negotiated as they have no immediate value for 2..8 or Sakai 3. The impact for Lance is that he will need good test plans for the full hybrid functionality and no doubt he will need to be quick with his programming fingers.

Alan

Alan Berg
QA Director - The Sakai Foundation

Senior Developer / Quality Assurance