[sakai2-tcc] [Building Sakai] [Management] Sakai 2.8 Release Activity Schedule

csev csev at umich.edu
Thu Sep 2 05:43:20 PDT 2010

Alan B,

I really don't think this will be much of a problem at all and it is perfectly correct for the S3 folks to be managing the hybrid progress in terms of overall timing, QA, etc.

We don't need to go into the S3 timescales in great detail here unless something in S3 wants a change in the 2.x schedule - like delaying 2.8 freeze for a few months to meet a S3 goal (which has not been proposed - just as an example).

Lance has done a great job expressing to the 2.x community what he needs and he uses 2.x words to express it - we in the 2.x community can keep our world relatively simple and focus on 2.x.   Lance has his feet both places and aligns things to fit into 2.x with a minimum of fuss.  You now also have feet in both places.

If during the 2.8 QA period there is some S3 QA testing of hybrid mode that identifies needed changes to the S2 hybrid bits and we are still making changes to 2.8 in general - Lance will make those changes/fix those bugs and things will work perfectly.   If issues are identified in S3's testing after 2.8 is released - then it can go into trunk and 2-8-x and later 2.8.1, etc releases.

The BasicLTI provider in 2.7 gave us a perfect example of how well this can work with a minimum of fuss.  I wrote the first version mostly as a turned off demo in 2.7.  Lance got interested as part of his hybrid mode strategy and started pushing it forward.  Since it was turned off in 2.7 - we gave Lance a lot of leeway in what he did to the provider and when he did it.  And that worked really well both during the release prep and in the 2-7-x branch after release.

The key to this is the beautiful "off by default" exemption which we should not abuse - but it applies perfectly to this case.  It avoids having hard alignment points when there is really no need to have hard alignment points.

/Chuck