[sakai2-tcc] next steps for S3/Nakamura Hybrid and Notification Preferences votes

Speelmon, Lance Day lance at indiana.edu
Mon Oct 11 11:52:05 PDT 2010

Thanks Megan - please see below...  L

Lance Speelmon
Scholarly Technologist

On Oct 11, 2010, at 2:27 PM, May, Megan Marie wrote:

Hi Lance,
  Thanks for the responses so far.   Have you received feedback from anyone that has reviewed the login and providers patches?  As you know, I’m not a developer but I do believe that peer review is a power tool that we under use in Sakai.

No feedback on the login or providers module yet.  I will be checking in junit tests for these two modules later this week.  You will find the hybrid webapp has good junit coverage now.

As for product management, can you speak more to how Hybrid will be evolving in the next 6 months?    I’m trying to better understand why now is a good time to get this into the Sakai 2.X code line.

The reason to include hybrid now, is that it enables one common use case for integration: using the S3 portal to front-end a S2 instance essentially replacing the S2 portal.  This configuration allows for very low risk by relying on S2 for T&L work, while exposing some of the S3 social features. It also allows for S3 to consume S2's LTI provider and expose S2 tools individually and be placed as S3 widgets.

We are still formalizing plans for the next round of hybrid development, but it could likely be a docproxy for S3 which will allow it to expose S2 content to users.  We could also start looking at some account/site/group/role provisioning.  The work to firm up the development roadmap for hybrid is occurring over the next couple of weeks. To set some more context, you might have a look at page 2 of this spreadsheet, column D: http://bit.ly/9gNL7t

Thanks!
Megan