[sakai2-tcc] [maint] Maintenance Branches: Enhancement vs Bug Merges

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Wed Dec 8 13:21:44 PST 2010

To front-load my support, +1. If you can't tell me how to test it, I'm not convinced it's modest or fully understood -- thereby violating my concept of our promise of what maintenance releases mean.

So, for more...

I don't think that it's too much to ask to have these exceptional cases (5-10 a year?) documented in a standard form, including a few words of how to verify them. Our JIRA tickets are just too numerous and inconsistent to use as a real feature list.

The goal isn't to be a barrier; it's to spend about 10-20 minutes up front to explain out-of-band features and save the puzzlement and frustration of mysterious changes. These might not be right for the job, but perhaps these templates could be inspiration for a lightweight tool:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/OSP/OSP+Feature+Template
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/OSP/OSP-SPEC+-+Specification+Template

A few completed examples (for admittedly more involved features than we might expect in maintenance):

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/OSP/Evaluator+Selection+Redesign
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/OSP/Duplicating+portfolios
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/OSP/Indiana+University+Matrices+Enhancements
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/OSP/Collaborative+Portfolio+Contributions