[Using Sakai] Spell checker

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Mon Sep 30 17:15:10 PDT 2013

Hi Kenneth,

Typically bugs like this would be reported to whoever is hosting your
instance of Sakai, either your university or your service provider.

Out of the box, all spell checking is disabled because the default checker (
http://www.webspellchecker.net/) contains ad's unless you paid for the
licensed version or setup some alternative (
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-19538). There are alternatives but
they require setup outside of Sakai, including After The Deadline or
aspell. It looks like RSmart used the Google spell checking service for
awhile but they recently (July 2013) shut that down, so that might be your
problem (https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-23344) There is an
alternative (https://github.com/AlphawolfWMP/google-spell-pspell) but you'd
have to have that setup locally or use something else.