[Using Sakai] Allowing Instructors to edit/change course site title

Laura Gekeler lgekeler at nd.edu
Fri Sep 13 12:37:42 PDT 2013

Francesca,

Hello! We met at the conference in June in an ad hoc session about changes to Sakai leadership structure needed as we move forward in the Apereo Foundation....

To your question, yes we allow Instructors to change the course site title. Students love it. Instructors love it. Support people not so much. But we've learned to adapt. Our biggest friend is the "Super User" feature. Because of it, we can login as the Instructor and look around to see which site they're talking about when they have a problem. If we need to know how that site was originally constructed (via SIS integration or manually) we need to use the Sites tool to find the externalSiteID, and that is kind of a pain, but fortunately it doesn't happen too often.

Grad Students were advocating for changing the title as our naming convention for course sites is like this: FA13-MGMT-750456-01. They told us all those codes all look alike, sometimes only varying by a couple of digits. Instructors can therefore change them to Macroeconomics Fall 2013 or whatever they wish...

Hope this is helpful,
Laura

Laura Gekeler
Sakai Learning Platform