[Using Sakai] Multiple Group-Only access to forums

Kenneth Litwak klitwak at apu.edu
Fri Sep 13 08:57:56 PDT 2013

Hi Bryan,

   My school is on this version:  Sakai - 2.9.1.6 - Sakai 2.9.1 (Kernel
1.3.1)-

I had already seen what you are talking about and did it partially.  That
is, I have three groups, and made most people, including "Student," "None,"
and each group "Contributor."

     However, it sounds like for this week I needed to create three totally
separate forums so that each group could have its own forum where the group
is the only thing that is "contributor."

  If so, I have twelve weeks of threaded discussions students will be
doing, and that means, what, 36(!) separate gradebook items to cover all
these forums?  That sounds like a nightmare for computing final grades.  I
always use points for everything and since I've not ever found a way to
make Sakai add up points to give me a total, I have to export the gradebook
to Excel and do it myself.  Having 36 instead of twelve assignments to
process, is going to be really hard to manage, especially if I need to
track who is really missing a score versus who posted in a different forum
that week.  Do you have any suggestions for managing, preferably avoiding,
this?  It seems like a very large headache to manage to me when this is so
easy to do, relatively speaking, in other tools.  Thanks.

Ken

Kenneth D. Litwak, Ph.D.
Azusa Pacific University
680 E. Alosta Ave.