[Using Sakai] LMS evaluations & comparisions?

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 17:33:09 PDT 2012

Proponents of Moodle always use those download stats [1] as a way to say that Moodle is bigger than it probably is. As you've found out, it's wildly inaccurate. People could download then delete. If we had a similar stat system for Sakai running based on downloads, then I'd personally be running about a thousand servers.

I do, however, like the idea of a very unobtrusive central reporting system that collects some stats about an installation. It could run once a week or similar, via a quartz job. At least then we know that the system is being used and what its size is.

We can send out surveys and ask people to fill in their details at https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/PROD but in the end if they don't do it, they aren't counted. I know for a fact that there are many installations, some quite large, that are not being counted. If people really want to remain anonymous, make the reporting configurable via a property. I know some people will love and some people will hate this idea so I've filed a Jira for it and it can be discussed/voted on. https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-22850

cheers,
Steve

[1] http://download.moodle.org/stats.php