[Using Sakai] LMS evaluations & comparisions?

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at mum.edu
Tue Oct 30 06:02:59 PDT 2012

Very interesting, thanks for the comments and the time to make them.
(I enjoyed your book!)

One observation from my young experience of Sakai is that it would have helped me if there was a more organized and available source of guidance for usage. The forum threads are useful, but mix a lot of discussion and release specific content with what could be more general FAQs and usage information. I think a Wiki or StackOverflow type of history organized by topic might be more useful to users. There are of course many-many nice tutorials by various institutions around, but no central index or merging of them into one master (searchable) site for other and newer users.

The curve for learning some things is fairly steep. The Berg book is helpful, it would be nice if there was something similar which was open-source also! :)

Thanks to you and all others for the work and thinking that has gone into these tools and projects, I think they are big accomplishments, but there is so much more coming that the fun is just getting started! With all of the current discussions of disruption effects of distance and online technologies in higher education, and the role that these software systems play as both reflecting and guiding those processes, there are interesting times ahead.