[Using Sakai] [Building Sakai] Benefits of 2.9 upgrade?

csev csev at umich.edu
Fri Feb 10 11:19:59 PST 2012

On Feb 9, 2012, at 6:50 PM, Jacqueline Mai Krueger wrote:

> Hi Chuck,
>
> One of the slides says that a 2.9 goal is to integrate Lesson Builder into the portal. Is this goal met for 2.9 since it's not clear to me how it's integrated?
>
> Thanks,
> Jackie

Jackie,

The simple answer is "yes" - but that statement (which I made) is likely a bit too broad.  What we did was make it so that Lesson Builder could take over the title, help, and reset button and integrate those into its own navigation.  This was to avoid three bars on top of one another given that LB needs a breadcrumb as well as buttons.

If you look at LB in this 2.9 screen shot you see that LB now has a breadcrumb and the "index of pages" button in the area that was the title in the old portal.  LB is rendering both the reset button and help button in this area.  Chuck could have put NEXT and Back in the title area if he wanted to since LB is rendering the entire title area.

This gives LB control of its own title and can do whatever they like with that space including not showing the help or reset, or whatever.   This is implemented by the portal not generating that tiel bar and passing all the data + urls that make up the title bar to LB and letting LB render a these elements within its frame.

In 2.9, any tool can take over the title bar like this.   It is not a LB-unique feature - so Melete or Edia's pathway tool could decide it wants the portal to dedlcate the title area to it and accomplish the same things.

/Chuck