[Using Sakai] sakai-user Digest, Vol 42, Issue 31

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Thu Aug 23 20:38:53 PDT 2012

On Aug 23, 2012, at 11:22 PM, Gregory Guthrie wrote:

> Thanks - I realize that I phrased this poorly! My mistake and apologies.

No problem - you left yourself sooooo open I figured it was my duty to give you a little nudge in fun :)

> I just meant that I thought there were probably some test cases and examples somewhere, and I just didn't know enough about the policies and process to find them. Maybe not, again I was asking as a naïve newcomer to the project!

The /direct was never a core part of Sakai back in 2003.  Sakai was all about APIs, Interfaces and SOAP Web Services when it was born.

/direct was originally an underground movement by the pro-REST folks and it grew rather organically for a while and ultimately like all good skunkworks projects went mainstream and became part of the core.   But while is is really cool - there are missing bits that only get fixed when someone feels the pain - so it is a moving target.   Since it is usually pretty incomplete and a moving target - folks prefer to work on improving it than documenting the current partially-complete state.

Also it is supposed to be mostly self-documenting.

And because we all have the source code it is too easy to ask a question and have the SwinsBorg swoop in and answer it.

www.swinsborg.com is better than www.google.com when it comes to Sakai questions.  The www.swinsborg.com uses analog technologies for its search algorithm which yields a single result that is perfectly relevant for each query.

/Chuck