[Using Sakai] user IDs

Mark J. Norton markjnorton at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 20 04:48:33 PDT 2012

The User class (included in the Sakai kernel) has a method to get the
Eid (External ID).  This is documented as "Access the user's enterprise
id; the id they and the enterprise know as belonging to them."  If you
want to set this via the API, create a UserEdit object, which has a
setEid() method.

For basic applications, new tools, etc., this is sufficient. Things get
a bit more complicated when you are using external definitions of  users
(LDAP, etc.)  For that, you'll need to wire up a User Directory Provider.

- Mark Norton