[Using Sakai] sakai-user Digest, Vol 42, Issue 18

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at mum.edu
Fri Aug 17 10:48:18 PDT 2012

Since this was in an earlier post, the original request (below) is a repeat.

It seems like I could find out how to do & export reports, and then find what APIs are available to do this, and then create a webservice to do it - but that seems like  a fairly steep learning curve and overhead for what I had hoped would be a simple thing.

I'd like to find some simple user level (not developer?) of using quartz to automatically generate reports across a range of courses.

Since the reports are already internally defined, seems like it should be simple (?!) to invoke the generate and export - I'll look again at the webservices examples and API - any hints r help welcome!  :-)

Thanks for the information.
I want to make some automated reports, most notably for per student attendance  in a course (as currently required for Federal Financial Aid guidelines).

I can go to the course, make a report by student for visits (or whatever), export it, and then copy and paste it into a spreadsheet shat summarizes by student by week.

But I want to automate this, first for one course, and then over a collection of courses.

With a local DIY LMS system I just wrote a python (or Java, or ...) program to query the databases, and generate a report directly, or indirectly by creating a spreadsheet from the data. With the Canvas LMS I can do the same thing, accessing the data from the LMS using web service APIs.

Is there any corresponding way to
1)      Automate the generation of reports from Sakai sites
2)      Or access the data from some external known APIs or services?

Is there an existing way to create this standard federal reporting requirement for DE courses from Sakai?