[Using Sakai] external access to Sakai data to automate reports?

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at mum.edu
Thu Aug 2 21:07:11 PDT 2012

I want to make some automated reports, most notably for per student attendance  in a course (as currently required for Federal Financial Aid guidelines).

I can go to the course, make a report by student for visits (or whatever), export it, and then copy and paste it into a spreadsheet shat summarizes by student by week.

But I want to automate this, first for one course, and then over a collection of courses.

With a local DIY LMS system I just wrote a python (or Java, or ...) program to query the databases, and generate a report directly, or indirectly by creating a spreadsheet from the data. With the Canvas LMS I can do the same thing, accessing the data from the LMS using web service APIs.

Is there any corresponding way to

1)      Automate the generation of reports from Sakai sites

2)      Or access the data from some external known APIs or services?

Is there an existing way to create this standard federal reporting requirement for DE courses from Sakai?