[Using Sakai] [Building Sakai] Firefox 6 is out...

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Wed Aug 17 11:32:25 PDT 2011

Yea, it kind of depends on what you define as a good time to release the
fixes. Either when "enough good stuff is ready" or on a reoccurring
schedule.

This "review" [1] seems to mention that since there's very few user facing
fixes (but a ton of bug fixes) that bumping the version a whole number seems
like it doesn't make sense. Only bumping for features was *generally* what
was taken as the reason to bump a "major" version. However most places now
are bumping on a more agile schedule: delivering a new release on a
predictable schedule with whatever is fixed at the time, whether it's
significant or not. This schedule might be different for different projects.

It seems like for an LMS (like Sakai), it should be much more predictable
and probably based around US 'semsters'. Always releasing minor versions ~2
months before typical semester starts (March/July/October), to give time for
local customizations and rolls, with whatever is ready at the time. I feel
that the schedule for the last two (Sakai) major releases (2.7/2.8) has been
really good, but really feel could have used a March 2.7.2 release when 2.8
came out.

Otherwise too much stuff just piles up and nobody knows when to prepare for
the next release.

[1] http://techie-buzz.com/browsers/firefox-6-review.html

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Adam Marshall <adam.marshall at oucs.ox.ac.uk