[Using Sakai] [Building Sakai] Firefox 6 is out...

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Wed Aug 17 09:02:49 PDT 2011

Well, Chrome releases a new version ever ~6 weeks as well, but it's not as
advertised as Firefox (auto updates on restart). I'd sent out a message to
an internal list where many see this is as both good and bad. But no matter
how you see it, it's just going to be something everyone has to accept.
Nobody is going to change Google or Mozilla's release schedule. ;) What I
think it might do is make the community and local institutions reflect on
our release schedule a little more.

The question comes up a lot about "browser compatibility" and Sakai is
usually pretty good as it's not written around any browser specific
standards. Users can generally use the latest and greatest, even if "QA"
doesn't test that. But for sure QA can't test every browser every 2 months,
and the only releases that are "stable" seem to be the ones distributed with
the OS: Safari (5) and IE (8/9). Those also have long term support where FF5
is already EOL.

There are some issues that come up with Sakai, and there are some
depreciated cross-cutting essential libraries that really need to go away
(FCKEditor), but mostly aside from that FF4 samigo issue, things seems to be
"okay". It certainly will be bad for places that stick to older versions for
a long time and don't stay relatively up-to-date though, unless they want to
force local users to always use old browsers (like many businesses still do
with IE6).

I'm personally with ars' assessment and happy to see standards getting
implemented, new features available at a fast pace.

The Good: Firefox update policy: the enterprise is wrong, not Mozilla
(arstechnica):
http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2011/06/firefox-update-policy-the-enterprise-is-wrong-not-mozilla.ars

The Bad: Why Firefox Rapid Release Schedule Is a Bad Idea (pcworld):
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/224842/why_firefox_rapid_release_schedule_is_a_bad_idea.html