[Using Sakai] WEBCT migration to SAKAI

Robin Hill hill at uwyo.edu
Fri Apr 1 02:01:51 PDT 2011

As for the import of Tests & Quizzes from WebCT, the IMS QTI
interpretations differ from WebCT to Sakai.  This, and other
considerations, is documented on the Confluence "Migration" site,
although most of the documents (including ours, regarding calculated
questions) are old, and may be outdated (...including ours, regarding
calculated questions).

In https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PROD/Migration, go to
"WebCT Migration."  Or directly to "Respondus Migration" for a
comprehensive gap analysis.

But the best advice I have heard regarding migration came from the
University of Delaware-- perhaps Mathieu will comment-- suggesting to
faculty that they choose to handle most of it manually, just as they
would choose to pack their own suitcases for a journey.

On 31/03/2011 23:38, Nicola Monat-Jacobs wrote:
> Fatima -
>
> Unfortunately, Blackboard removed the ability to export IMS-compliant
> course archive zips from post-CE 4 WEBCT versions. CE 6 and CE 8 no
> longer have this ability, unfortunately. They will export a .bak file,
> which is WebCT-specific, so I don't think Steve's solutions below will
> work for you. (I haven't tried bFree with these exports, but I know
> the UNE doesn't work with them.)
>
> The only solution I have found for working with the .bak files is to
> import them into Blackboard's free coursesites.com
> <http://coursesites.com> site, and then export at a Blackboard archive
> or IMS cc package. Blackboard archive zips work the best, but it's a
> little tricky to get them to work in Sakai 2.7.
>
> What version of Sakai are you using?
>
> Also, the route through coursesites.com <http://coursesites.com> is
> manual, so not great if you're looking to automate.
>
> WebCT should allow you to export course content as a zip, which you
> could load into Sakai via WebDAV.
>
> The Tests & Quizzes area in WebCT claims to export tests as IMS QTI,
> but we weren't successful importing these into Sakai.
>
> Thanks,
> Nicola
>
> On Mar 31, 2011, at  3:18 PM, Steve Swinsburg wrote:
>
>> Hi Fatima,
>>
>> It's been a while since I worked with WebCT, but when I did, we were
>> on CE 4.1, and developed this to migrate content and quizzes:
>> https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PROD/UNE+Migration+Utility
>>
>> I am not sure how similar (or different) CE6 is in terms of the
>> export packages.
>>
>> There is also this tool, which should handle the newer formats:
>> http://its2.unc.edu/tl/tli/bFree/
>>
>> cheers,
>> Steve
>>

>> On 01/04/2011, at 12:34 AM, Fatima Rahiman wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there
>>> We are currently investigating a potential move from WEBCT 6 to
>>> SAKAI and are busy with our content migration plan which is an
>>> unknown, unchartered territory for all of usJ.
>>> We need to allocate resources to this task in our project plan (in
>>> order to justify staff in light of budgetary restraints) and thus
>>> need to know how long this process would take to allocate notional
>>> hours etc .
>>> Does anyone know of an approximate conversion time per course based
>>> on a standard course with MCQ.s discussion topic, content with
>>> videos and pics etc.
>>> Also if there are people wishing to share their migration plans with
>>> us we would greatly appreciate this  as we have no idea what the
>>> road ahead entails(our license expires end 2011 and we have already
>>> had setbacks pursuing another LMS so can’t afford to have any major
>>> setbacks or delays ).
>>> Hoping someone will respond to this desperate cry for assistance!
>>> /Regards/
>>> *Fatima Rahiman*
>>> **
> [...]

   Robin K. Hill, Ph. D.      Coordinator of Instructional Computing, University of Wyoming
   http://www.uwyo.edu/ctl
   [On professional leave, 2010-2011]
   hill at uwyo.edu        307-760-8508   http://www.uwyo.edu/HILL