[Using Sakai] Anyone have experienc with large (5000+) Project Sites

Adam Marshall adam.marshall at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 30 01:27:57 PDT 2010

from our FAQ: http://wiki.oucs.ox.ac.uk/weblearn/SakaiAdministratorFaq

Is there a limit to the number of site participants?
A: In theory there is a limit. Some tools start to work slowly with a large number of users. We did an experiment and added 6,500 users to site which contained Wiki, Announcements, Mailtool, Resources, Web Content and Home, and everything seemed to work just fine. If you do have a large number of participants, then it is worth checking the performance before getting students to use it!
The University of Cape Town have a site with 30,000 users and confirm that the following tools are fine: Announcements, Resources, Chat, Polls, Forums, Evaluation System, Site Info (though slow).
Texas State have a site with 1,300 users and confirm that in addition to the above they have no problems with Forums. Tests and Quizzes (which we don't offer here) does not work very well.
At Unisa (University of South Africa) there are sites with over 1000 members, they report problems with the following tools:

 *   Blogger - slow for large classes; get problems/bugs - this tool has been withdrawn now
 *   Dropbox - finding a specific box without a search on the page or re-ordering option
 *   Sign up - lecturers' view is slow with the view of participants
 *   Site Info - default view extract all participants; slow for adding new participants on large sites
 *   Sitestats - resources view; reports for many events