[Using Sakai] [Building Sakai] Learning Object Repositories and Sakai

Mark Norton markjnorton at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 22 07:53:18 PDT 2010

Properly configured with the right web services, any Sakai instance can
become a digital repository to store and access learning objects.
Depending on the format of the learning objects themselves (collected
web pages or SCORM), they can be delivered in a Sakai site as well.
Sakai has almost no support for packaged learning objects beyond zipped
web pages or SCORM.  There was an effort to support IMS Common Cartridge
at one point, but the work was never completed.  Encapsulated Flash
objects could be stored and delivered from Sakai, properly formatted, as
well as videos.  Beyond that ... not much.

I should note that the SoftChalk LessonBuilder authoring application is
integrated with Sakai in a way that allows it to publish learning
objects (lessons) directly to a Sakai course site.  This capability will
be available in LessonBuilder 6.0, due out soon.  The Melete Sakai tool
also supports the authoring of packaged lessons with support for SCORM
import though not (to my knowledge) export.

- Mark Norton