[Using Sakai] sakai installation problem

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 04:27:46 PDT 2010

Thanks, I'll pass it on.

For reference, you don't need a sakai.properties file to get Sakai running, the properties have defaults that are built in. The sakai.properties are essentially just overrides so if you provide them, these are used preferentially.

In Section 3.1 of the Install Guide it talks about the sakai.properties, specifically where you can find one to use as a base for your installation:
The default default.sakai.properties file is located in the config module:

sakai-src/config/configuration/bundles/src/bundle/org/sakaiproject/config/bundle/default.sakai.properties
A sample sample.sakai.properties file that documents many of the standard properties can also be found in config:

sakai-src/config/configuration/bundles/src/bundle/org/sakaiproject/config/bundle/sample.sakai.properties

Also, setenv.sh is an optional file and doesn't ship with Tomcat by default. Generally people use setenv.sh because when Tomcat starts up this is one of the files that is automatically read to load in any extra configuration. I don't use it though, I have a custom script that sets environment variables but this is personal preference.

Regarding permissions, the install guide also states this:
Unix/Mac users should make sure that they have write permissions to the Tomcat servlet container files and directories before proceeding or startup permission errors may occur.

So depending on your setup you'll need to change the permissions.

As an aside, it is a bad idea to run Tomcat as root since system processes can be executed by web applications. If you want to run on a lower port, say 80, there are many ways to do this (Apache frontend plus others).

cheers,
Steve