[Using Sakai] Question about Sakai renaming tools functionality from Indiana University

Jeff Ziegler ziegler at umich.edu
Mon Apr 19 11:13:08 PDT 2010

Hi Rita,

FWIW, at UMich, we make the Page Order Helper tool available only to
Project sites.  We felt that there was too much potential for student
confusion if instructors were allowed to rename (and to a smaller
extent, reorder) tools on course sites.  We already see a significant
amount of support traffic from students who are unable to find their
clearly labeled Course sites so imagine a dealing with a situation
where there is a different name and location for the Assignments tool
on each site of which a student is a participant.  Then figure that
some instructors will invariably decide to rename all the tools on a
site with names that make perfect sense to them but are less
intuitive for the students.  If an instructor expresses a need to
rename or reorder a tool we treat that as just another support
service that we provide and will work with them to ensure that the
renaming does not cause problems downstream.  In effect, rather than
meet the challenge, we side-stepped it :-)

There was also a bit of concern regarding the Hide function of POH.
One potential scenario was for an instructor posting, for example,
study documents in Resources, and then hiding the Resources tool in
the mistaken belief that doing this would prevent further student
access to the files.  Unfortunately, that file would still be
available if the URL to that file was known, e.g., preserved in an
Announcement or email.

As far as using it on a Project site, it's fairly intuitive to use so
we see very little support traffic regarding the use of POH.

Jeff

On Apr 19, 2010, at 12:47 PM, Pavolka, Rita Kay wrote:

> 1)      How have students responded to the changing tool names?
> 2)      Has it created significant challenges for your support groups?
> 3)      How have those challenges been met at your school/institution?

"New != better.  Different != better.  Only better == better."

Jeff Ziegler - CTools Support Supervisor
CTools Implementation Group
Digital Media Commons, Duderstadt Center