[Using Sakai] Question about Sakai renaming tools functionality from Indiana University

Clay Fenlason clay.fenlason at et.gatech.edu
Mon Apr 19 11:46:57 PDT 2010

Georgia Tech has made POH and tool renaming open from the start. We
had the some of the same theoretical concerns that others have
enumerated, but it's been our experience that (a) the majority of
faculty don't know how to use renaming or hiding in the first place,
and (b) even the ones that do usually don't bother for the basic
tools. The feature sees relatively little use, as far as we can tell,
and we've come to think that our earlier fears were exaggerated. I'm
not aware of any support calls we had in the last year where this was
the issue. It certainly hasn't been a significant drain.

In fact, in the opinion of our instructional designers (I just asked
them) the freedom has made a positive difference in a number of cases.
There are specialized uses of tools (eg. using the blog tool as a
particular kind of journal) that seem to be aided - as a matter of
user experience - by setting the tone with a particular term that
signals its appropriate use in that course.

Beyond the POH, what we see far more of is the use of the Web Content
tool, where entirely new button labels are introduced. Confusion
occasionally results from user expectations of new tools and
functionality where it's really just a window onto some other web
location, and the names people give to their web content instances are
all over the map. Some instructors go a little overboard and the
lefthand menu can get rather cluttered, but of course that's not
really an issue with renaming tools, and certainly not an issue with
POH.

We do hear from students that they wished their instructors used Sakai
more consistently, but that complaint often has more to do with
practices (eg. putting the syllabus in Resources rather than using the
Syllabus tool, or changing permissions so that allowed operations vary
from one site to another), and we haven't tried to tease out what
portion of the complaint is owed to tool order or naming. Our general
attitude has been that the cost of restricting faculty freedom
outweighs the benefit of conforming the student experience (usually
with some hand-waving about how students adapt quickly, and each class
has its own idiosyncratic norms in the real world, anyway). This, too,
is untested, but we haven't thus far had reason to regret our choices.

~Clay