[Using Sakai] Sakai 2, looking for more information about "seamless integration to library resources"

Dunn, Jon William Butcher jwd at indiana.edu
Fri Apr 9 11:17:34 PDT 2010

Hi Jean-Francois,

Sakaibrary was a project of the Indiana University and the University of Michigan Libraries, carried out from 2006-2008 with support from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation: http://www.sakaibrary.org/

The main product developed by the Sakaibrary project was Citations Helper, which as you note, has been a part of the core Sakai distribution since version 2.4 (with enhancements and additional features in 2.5, 2.6, and soon, 2.7). The terms "Citations", "Citations Helper", and "Citation Lists" generally refer to the same set of features. For more details on Citations Helper, see <http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/RES/Citations+Helper>.

There was also development effort as part of the Sakaibrary project devoted toward what we called the Research Guides or Subject Research Guides tool, but that work was only begun as a prototype and is not in a production-ready state. That's the code that you'll find in the contrib/sakaibrary area of SVN.

With the end of the Sakaibrary project, much of the current effort by libraries involved in the Sakai community has been towards defining requirements for library integration features for Sakai 3. For more information on this effort, see <http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=9895999>.

Hope this is helpful.

Jon

---
Jon Dunn
Associate Director for Technology
Indiana University Digital Library Program
IU Libraries / University Information Technology Services
jwd at indiana.edu
(812) 855-0953