[Using Sakai] Online submissions of examined essays (Assignments)

Perpich, Diana dperpich at umich.edu
Mon May 11 10:35:57 PDT 2009

Hello, Adam,

We're running a somewhat similar project this summer with incoming
students submitting via Assignments to a Writing Center site.  Our
collected wisdom is limited at present, as our pilot was quite small
(200 students).  We are sure to know much more soon, though.  Over the
course of the summer almost 5000 incoming students will submit their
writing samples as attachments to the assignment posted at the site.

By the way, we'll be presenting our lessons learned at the Boston
conference as part of our Mega Sites session.

Although we have 5000 students submitting, they will submit on a
rolling deadline.  Each student is expected to submit 5 days before s/
he arrives on campus for orientation and a new set of 100 students
arrives every three days.

Still, we were very concerned about the Instructor view of one
assignment with 5000 entries.  In our test instance, it took many
minutes to display the first page of submissions, and then equally
many minutes to sort by date so that the most recently submitted rose
to the top.  We weren't confident that Download All was going to churn
successfully at that volume either.  We didn't even test it.

Placing the students into Groups and creating a series of clone
assignments, one group assigned to each, seems to have addressed the
scaling challenges of a single assignment with that many submissions.
That doesn't speak directly to your concern about the 4:59 glut, but
it might give you some food for thought about navigating the
submissions once they're in the system.

Our submissions are only about three pages each and Our Writing Center
has no intention of printing out the 5000 entries.  Only about 200 of
them will be read over the summer for immediate evaluation and the
Writing Center staff intends to read the downloaded electronic
version.  On a related note, I did recently receive some strong
negative feedback from a program coordinator who was frustrated about
picking up the cost of printing her departmental Course Evaluations.
I asked her why they were printing them out: whether the print pages
were actually being read and evaluated or if they could be printed as
mere thumbprints, perhaps 12 pages per side-- illegible to the naked
eye but proof that the file existed and could be printed if required.
We have no institutional requirement to save the printed documents,
even as thumbprints.  User preference may be playing a big role here;
a significant number of instructors may well be still very
uncomfortable with paperless evaluation.

We've learned other lessons about using Assignments this way, but most
of what we've learned is directly related to the fact that our Writing
Center site will almost certainly be the first experience with Sakai
for these incoming students.  I'm presuming that students accessing
your Examinations site will be well-experienced with Sakai in general
and have at least some exposure to the Assignments tool.

I hope this has been helpful.  We'd be interested in learning more
about your own lessons learned from your pilot.

[dlp]

diana perpich | CTools Support | digital media commons | University of
Michigan