[Using Sakai] Online submissions of examined essays (Assignments)

Adam Marshall adam.marshall at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 11 07:41:17 PDT 2009

Folks,

We are planning to run a pilot of the Assignments tool with our Examinations
Dept. They have asked me to ask the collected wisdom of the Sakai community
if anybody has done anything similar.

Currently students will hand in printed essays to the Exams School who then
make the essays available for collection by individual departments for
marking. The proposal is to do this through the Assignment tool instead.

I think the Exams School are worried that lots of Essays will 'close' at 5pm
on a Friday and that there will be a glut of submissions at 4.59. Does
anybody have any experience of the kinds of exceptional loads that can be
generated? Has this been factored in to the hardware / software
configuration?

They also ask about how institutions have managed the passing on of printing
costs from the student to the department. Under the current scheme, every
student prints out their own essay; in the future scheme each dept will be
printing out (say) 200, 10 page essays per week with a noticeable impact on
their budget.

Any information would be most welcomed.

Adam

--
Adam Marshall:       OUCS, 13, Banbury Rd. Oxford OX2 6NN.
The upcoming new WebLearn service: http://beta.weblearn.ox.ac.uk