[Using Sakai] Wiki Tool: Removing entries from the index, indenting text

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Thu Jul 9 08:19:17 PDT 2009

-- The issue with page deletion leaving indexes has been an existing
issue for a number of years. The primary contributer for wiki went on
to work on Sakai 3 so many of these old requests are left unfulfilled.
So there is currently no easy way to do it. I'm sure if you REALLY
needed to get rid of something, someone could remove the run a some
queries to get it out of the database. :/

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-5496

-- As far as indenting I've never found an easy way and have some
interesting work arounds. This would probably be a nice thing to add
though.

Workaround 1: Almost all browsers support unicode and if you insert
unicode spaces it will accept it and indent, it removes a regular old
space though. On OSX you can type unicode moderately easily by going
to System Preferences->International->Input Menu and selecting
"Unicode Hex Input" near the bottom. Also select show Input Menu on
Menu bar. This can be useful because you can insert other unicode into
the wiki.
(Character for the unicode space the wiki accepts and indents)
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/0020/index.htm

Workaround 2: You can have your administrator add a new style to the
portal.css or the wiki css (or your site's custom css if you have one)
that has some styles to specify the level of indent you want then you
can use the {block:class} {block} or {span:class} {span} to indent
your block of text based on this style. I don't know if theres any
good styles that already exist that do what you might want.

For instance some of the existing comment body styles:
{block:rwikicommentbody_1}Some test text{block} (However this style
makes the text 85%)

-------
Possibly a good future macro (if someone would write it) might be
{indent:5}Indented text{indent} Which would indent a block of text by
this many spaces.

-Matthew