[Using Sakai] Portable links to tools

Adam Marshall adam.marshall at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 8 07:37:57 PDT 2009

You can always point to the front page of a tool but often cannot point to
an entry within a tool, such as a thread in a forum.

Whether the tool has a sensible URL (unfortunately) depends on the
technology used to write the tool, I think I'm right in saying that tools
using Wicket or RSF have good URLs. (Polls being an example although it's
not obvious what the URL is!), other tools that use JSF do not have proper
URLs - the best you can do is point to the front page of the Forums tool.
Note that it may appear that you can point to a particular message in a
forum but this is usually due to a session variable temporarily remembering
what the last thing was that you looked at.

This is a fairly big issue (for us) and I think that Sakai 3 is addressing
it.

As far as I know there isn't a portable URL - this is something we'd like as
well. I have also discovered that sometime relative URLs aren't accepted -
Sakai makes a right mess of them, although this issue may have been fixed
now.

Adam